The Little Red Schoolhouse in Scottsdale, Arizona is a former school building. The Scottsdale Historical Museum is now housed in what was formerly the Scottsdale Grammar School.
The Little Red School House on the Scottsdale Mall is a rarity in a city where little of man’s handiwork is older than 60 or 70 years. Residents have come to refer to it as the “small” school over the years, but it must have looked like the Big New School House to the residents of 1910.
Aliza Bount was the first instructor. Her husband and three children had relocated to Arizona from Illinois for health reasons. She received a monthly stipend of $40.
The Little Red Schoolhouse was constructed in 1909 to replace a one-room frame schoolhouse that had been constructed in 1896. The new schoolhouse is a two-classroom red brick building that cost $4,500.
The red brick building was used as an immersion-style school for immigrant children until a larger grammar school was constructed in 1928, teaching them English as well as early elementary school subjects. The house was no longer used as a school by the 1950s. Scottsdale’s first stand-alone town hall was built in 1955, four years after the town was incorporated.
When the school first opened, it had 32 pupils. On the main level, classes were held. The full-size basement was converted into a neighborhood and school auditorium. From 1928 to 1954, the Little Red SchoolHouse operated as a school, giving Spanish-speaking students a head start for their first three years before transferring to an all-English school.
In addition to the two main classrooms, the building has an entry lobby, two small storage spaces, and a full-sized basement that was once a chapel and a community center. The Scottsdale City Hall and Justice Court, the Scottsdale Public Library, and finally the Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce were all housed in the former schoolhouse.
The Scottsdale Historical Society was established in 1969 to prevent the demolition of the Little Red Schoolhouse for the construction of the Scottsdale Mall. The school was returned to its original configuration over the next few years, and now has a classroom gallery designed to look as it did in 1910.
The Scottsdale Historical Society opened the building as a local history museum in November 1991, and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
By Dru Bloomfield – https://www.flickr.com/photos/athomeinscottsdale/3836187025/in/photostream/, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=95427764
Scottsdale, Arizona is full of amazing historical landmarks that help to make our city an amazing, culturally rich city:
- George Ellis House
- Louise Lincoln Kerr House
- McCormick Stillman Railroad Park
- The Valley Field Riding and Polo Club of Scottsdale
- Roald Amundsen Pullman Private Railroad Car
- Historic Taliesin West
- Old Town Scottsdale
- Main Street Arts District
All of these wonderful landmarks are located just a short distance from our location at 7106 East Main Street! Stop by for a visit anytime!