Are You New to Canvas Oil Paintings? Here's Everything You Need to Know
If you're new to the world of canvas oil painting, it's important to know a few things before you get started. This guide will teach you everything you need to know about canvas oil painting, from the supplies you'll need to the techniques you can use.
Canvas oil painting is a popular type of painting that uses oil paint on a canvas. Oil paint is made from pigments that are suspended in an oil medium, such as linseed oil. This type of paint dries slowly, which gives you time to work on your painting and make changes if necessary.
One of the great things about canvas oil painting is that it allows you to create richly-textured and coloured paintings. Oil paint can be applied in thin layers or thick layers, depending on the effect you're going for.
WHAT SUPPLIES TO USE FOR CANVAS OIL PAINTING
Before you start canvas oil painting, you'll need to gather the supplies you'll need. Here's what you'll need:
- Oil paint: You can purchase oil paint in tubes or jars from your local craft store or online. Look for a brand that offers a good range of colors.
- Canvas: Choose a canvas that's made specifically for oil painting. Avoid cheaper options, as they may not be able to hold up to the heavy layers of paint.
- Paintbrushes: You'll need a variety of paint brushes to paint with oil paint, including round brushes, flat brushes, and filbert brushes.
- Palette: A palette is used to mix your paint colors. You can purchase a disposable palette or reuse an old one.
- Painting knife: A painting knife can be used to apply paint to your canvas or to mix colors on your palette.
- Turpentine: Turpentine is used to thin oil paint and clean your brushes.
- Rag: A rag can be used to wipe away any mistakes you make while painting.
HOW TO SET UP YOUR CANVAS FOR OIL PAINTING
Now that you have your supplies, it's time to set up your canvas for painting. Here's what you need to do:
- Choose a well-ventilated room to work in. Oil paint can be smelly, so it's important to work in a room with good ventilation.
- Cover your work surface with a drop cloth or an old sheet. This will protect your surface from paint stains.
- Place your canvas on the covered surface.
- Tape the edges of the canvas to the surface. This will prevent the paint from seeping under the edges of the canvas.
- Prime the canvas with a gesso primer. This will create a smooth surface for painting.
By Dru Bloomfield - https://www.flickr.com/photos/athomeinscottsdale/3836187025/in/photostream/, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=95427764
HOW TO MIX OIL PAINT
Once your canvas is set up, it's time to start mixing your paint. Here's what you need to do:
- Squeeze a small amount of each color you want to use onto your palette.
- Add a few drops of turpentine to each color. This will thin the paint and make it easier to work with.
- Use your brush to mix the colors until you've achieved the desired shade.
HOW TO APPLY OIL PAINT TO YOUR CANVAS
Now that your paint is mixed, it's time to start painting! Here's what you need to do:
- Dip your brush into the paint.
- Apply the paint to your canvas in long, even strokes.
- Continue painting until you're happy with the result.
- Allow the paint to dry completely before adding another layer.
TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL CANVAS OIL PAINTING
Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your canvas oil painting experience:
- Take your time. Canvas oil painting takes time and patience. Don't rush through your painting or you may not be happy with the results.
- Experiment. Oil paint is versatile and forgiving. Don't be afraid to experiment with different techniques and colors.
- Be patient. Allow each layer of paint to dry completely before adding another. This will prevent your painting from becoming a muddy mess.
So, there you have it - everything you need to know about canvas oil paintings! If you're ready to get started on your masterpiece, be sure to call us today. We would love to help you choose the perfect painting for your home or office and walk you through the entire process. Thanks for reading!
Are You Looking for Contemporary Modern Art to Complement Your Home?
The Marshall Gallery, located in Scottsdale’s Historic Arts District, has been the center of contemporary art since its founding in 1998. Boasting a collection of paintings, sculptures, and exquisite glass pieces, the gallery hosts several exhibitions each year plus a biennial glass invitational that attracts top-notch talent. Here you will find exceptional art presented in an open and relaxed gallery space, which is perfect for browsing the ever-changing collection. Explore on your own, or allow our expert art consultants to offer complimentary assistance to find the perfect addition to your own collection. Looking for the perfect piece of art to complement your home’s decor? Visit us in person or browse our online art store!