“My life has been dedicated to the pursuit of beauty. It is an exciting, never ending challenge with prismatic possibilities.”
From: Massachusetts | Medium: Oil on panel
Stuart Dunkel was born in Fair Lawn, New Jersey in 1952 and currently lives in Boston. He began painting and playing classical music at the age of five and went on to a long career with top orchestras in Boston, New York, and Hong Kong. In 1994, he transitioned from music to fine art, receiving his classical training at The Boston Museum School, Boston, MA, The Academy of Realist Art, Seattle, WA and private study with other realist painters.
For his subject matter, Dunkel alternates between still life, landscape, and animal portraits that fuse detailed depictions with subtle humor. He hopes his viewer will find joy, optimism, and playfulness, as well as a sense of classical balance and beauty in his work.
Dunkel’s professional track has revealed to him the many similarities between music and painting. Rhythm, harmony, counterpoint, balance, contrast, scales, chromatism, keys, high and low, dark and bright, loud and soft, colorful and dull, can all be found in his compositions.
Dunkel teaches paintings classes through his own academy, THE NAUTILUS SCHOOL OF REALIST ART in Watertown, MA. He is a member of The International Guild of Realism, The Art Renewal Center, and the Copley Society of Boston and has won awards and been invited to show at The Guild of Boston Artists, The Copley Society of Boston, The Salmagundi Club, along with other groups and galleries.
He paints every day in the company of his dog, his cat, and the 3 white mice that share his studio.
“Being a painter, musician and author, sight, sound and words are the tools of my expression. I began painting at age five and at age seven I began studying music. The very discipline of formal training has always appealed to me and I have dedicated my life to the in-depth study of them.”
Collections & Exhibits
- Art Renewal Center, Honorable mention in the Still life category, 2009, 2011 Finalist in the animal category
- Capturing Realism 2011 Pauly Friedman Gallery, Dallas, PA, through the AnthonyWachulis Invitational
- The Guild of Boston Artists: NE Representational competition,
- silver medal winner The Copley Society, Members Summer Show Competition, Sizzle, First Prize winner, July 2008
- The Guild of Boston Artists, New England Representational Competition, Silver Medal winner, October 2007, 2010, 2011
- Copley Society of Boston, The Crisp Award, best of show, A-Z, November 2007
- Westford Art Show, prize winner, Westford, MA, 2004
- Gallery Demonstration and On-line Demonstration, Churchill Gallery 2006-2007
- Salmagundi Club, 2005 Realist Competition, New York, NY
- Guest lecturer, Wellesley college, Art and Anxiety, Wellesley, MA 2006-2007
- Co-operative member Depot Square Gallery, Lexington, MA
- Guest lecturer, Art and Management, Cambridge art association
- Lunch with the Artist, Depot Square Gallery, Lexington, MA: Presentation on setting up the still-life
- Board member, Cambridge art association
- Lecturer, Art and Composition, Depot Square Gallery