Painting and the landscape of the American west have partnered congenially for over two hundred years. Keeping in mind that Kentucky was once the new frontier west of the Allegheny Mountains, the concept of the American West has included a majority of our national landmass. Artists from Thomas Moran to Georgia O’Keefe have enjoyed the vast moonlike spaces that seem to act as a metaphorical canvas for the divine painter. Rivers become lines, fields become geometric shapes, and textures translate in effortless reverie.
Chris Segre-Lewis was born in Jamaica then immigrated to the Florida coast. Since 1994 he has found residence in the beautiful horse country of Kentucky. Chris graduated from Asbury College with a B.A. in applied communications and a minor in fine art. He completed his education by earning a Masters of Fine Arts from the University of Kentucky in 2005.
These new paintings track my personal fascination with the American West. My interests are focused on the geographical interactions between humans and the land rather than mere romantic allusions. In these paintings I am suggesting the evidence of human movements guided by the sublime and yet spartan allure of the expansive western landscape. As well, I hope to express the spiritual appeal of the west with its grand, perceptually overwhelming vistas that tend to read as God sized marks built upon celestial compositions.
- 2018 Vanish Boundaries, Tew Galleris, Atlanta, GA
- 2013 Tended Earth, Ann Tower Gallery, Lexington, KY
- 2011 Western Vistas, Ann Tower Gallery, Lexington, KY
- 2009 Signs, Ann Tower Gallery, Lexington, KY
- 2008 18 Days in March, Asbury University, Wilmore, KY
- 2008 Prophetic Landscapes, Louisiana College, Pineville, LA
- 2008 Sojourn, Recent paintings, Main Cross Gallery, Lexington, KY
- 2006 Spirituality and the Landscape, Georgetown College, Georgetown, KY
- 2006 Ephemeral Realities, Main Cross Gallery, Lexington, KY
- 2005 Elemental Landscapes, Tuska Center for Contemporary Art, Lexington, KY
- 2004 Recent Paintings, Johnson Gallery, Asbury University, Wilmore, KY
Collection & Exhibits
- Vista [Landscape in Contemporary Art] Manifest Gallery, Cincinnati, OH
- 2013 National Weather Center Biennale, Norman, OK
- 2012 New Beginnings, New Gallery, Asbury University, Wilmore, KY
- 2012 Lookout Gallery, Regent College, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- 2012 Brehm Center for the Arts, Pasadena, CA
- 2011 Dordt College, Sioux Center, IA
- 2011 Dadian Gallery, Washington D.C.
- 2011 TAPPED 2, Manifest Gallery, Cincinnati, OH
- 2011 The State of Drawing, Georgetown College, Georgetown, KY
- 2011 Matter Matters, Asbury University, Wilmore, KY
- 2010 Presence, Asbury University, Wilmore, KY
- 2009 Charis Boundary Crossings, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI
- 2008 Evolving Revolving, Ann Tower Gallery, Lexington, KY
- 2008 Faculty Exhibition, Asbury University, Wilmore, KY
- 2007 Faculty Exhibition, Asbury University, Wilmore, KY
- 2006 Art at the Cathedral, Christ’s Church Cathedral, Lexington, KY
- 2004 Bluegrass Biennial, Morehead State University, Morehead, KY